Thursday, September 9, 2010

Day 188: More on parenting

Overindulged spawn
Needs only whine to receive
Her small heart's desire

I'm not actually a kid-hater. I know I come off as one, but deep down I think kids are okay. What I can't stand are the two extremes of parenting that I see on a daily basis: one the one hand you have the completely checked-out parents who treat their child like a social life-hampering out of season accessory. On the other you have the hovering, private-kindergarten-admissions-obsessed, "I can't believe your baby doesn't know sign language and what do you mean you have an English-speaking nanny?" crowd. They are equally tiresome, but whichever type of parent is closest to me at a given time (on the street, in the park, on the train) is the worst kind.

No comments:

Post a Comment