Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Day 203: Avoiding Another Year of the Swine

My aching left arm
Remembers the needle's glint
Recalls its blunt bite

Last fall I managed to contract not only the swine flu, but also a case of bronchitis so severe I was put on bed rest for a week. So today I nipped flu season in the bud and got a flu shot. It was a tough decision. Not because I have a problem with needles, or because I think the flu vaccine is a conspiracy, but because I don't have health insurance or a full-time job. I know $24.99 doesn't sound like a lot, but right now it feels like a lot. Still, it's cheaper than the $100+ I'll have to pay to see a doctor if I get sick.

I have the gall to be an uninsured low-wage worker. Let's hope I don't have the gall to get sick. I can't afford it.

1 comment: