Sunday, November 21, 2010

My (Other) Secret Identity

As you've no doubt noticed from the cheerful little widget at the bottom of my blog, I'm not just a renegade haiku-er, I'm also a rampant crocheter. Now that I am unemployed I have even more time to crochet and think about the ways in which I would like to change the world.

I'm thinking of pioneering a Slow Gift movement (much like the famed Slow Food movement with its adorable snail logo) this holiday season. Here is a rough draft of my Slow Giving manifesto:

1) Think before you buy. Ask yourself, where will this gift be in a year? In five?

2) Take the time to become informed about where your money is really going. Make an effort to support small businesses, especially local shops and artisans (because, you know, maybe they just graduated from law school and are unemployed, but still have to pay rent and buy food and make loan payments...)

3) Giving should be a source of joy, not a tiresome obligation. Don't buy just to have something to give.

What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment