Thursday, June 16, 2011

Day 288: Everyone's a Tour Guide

An old New Yorker
Advises French tourists on
Sites not to be missed

She was a leggy Black woman in short shorts with a heavy French accent and two friends who didn't speak any English. He was a silver-haired man with a yarmulke and a briefcase. They were so engrossed in their conversation that it looked like they knew each other well. Then I realized she was holding a guidebook and he was saying stuff like "you HAVE to go to the top of the Empire State Building. That's where I proposed to my wife! Oh, and the Botanic Garden -- don't miss it!"

As much as we all love to hate tourists (and I work in Midtown, so I'm usually not pretending), I defy you to find a New Yorker capable of turning down the chance to brag about something we've got that they don't have anywhere else.

No comments:

Post a Comment